Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia took ten years to build, starting in the early 1820s, and was one of the most expensive buildings constructed during that time. Prisoners were admitted and abuse-investigations were conducted before the building was even finished. This was partially because in the beginning, regardless of their crime, prisoners were placed in isolation. They could not interact with other prisoners, nor were they given anything to read and many had break downs very quickly. Those who lashed out at circumstances faced physical abuse, such as whippings or being doused in cold water and restrained. Blanket solitary confinement was abolished in the 1870s.
By 1913, the facility had 1300 prisoners (well over its 250 maximum occupancy) and the overcrowding led to neglect of the facilities, leaving it in squalor. In 1971, the prison was shut down since building a new prison would cost less than restoring Eastern State Penitentiary. It has since been converted to a museum, with some rooms restored–such as the cell Al Capone was confined to during his stay.